Wednesday 12 June 2013

New big drawings

After thinking very hard about my artwork and deciding which direction to go, I have started doing large drawings again.

These images are 3 stages of a drawing to show the inside of a giant 300 year old hedge. It is c70x60cm and drawn with pencil, Conte crayon and chalk pastel.
Looking at the final version I would do the next drawing more like the 2nd stage image. There seems to be more mystery and the composition draws the eye into the centre of the hedge. I like the 'meaty' quality of the picture, as this is my style of drawing, and is satifyingly dramatic. It was great to just concentrate on the act of drawing, feeling the discoveries coming from looking, and expressing that within the image. I did a lot of drawing on my Fine Art degree, but afterwards didn't really have the space to continue.

Ideally there would be another 11 large drawings, to make 12, a good number for a possible exhibition. Also I've been thinking of turning this one into a very large etching, but am still hunting for facilities to accommodate a A1 size piece of zinc, and a press large enough to take a paper margin too. It may be a drypoint, as the quality of line is gorgeously fluffy and velvety, a perfect quality for looking into dark spaces and spidery branches.





No comments: