Thursday 3 June 2010

Etching process explained, as promised.

Here are my adventures in printmaking explained. Hope you understand it, I've kept it simple but if you'd like to know more feel free to email me.

Nb, I forgot to say that before you put the soft ground (stage 1) you should gently clean the plate with water and a gentle degreaser, such as Flash general purpose cleaner (liquid, not the slightly abrasive white Cif or Jif cream type). It can be done with a clean household paintbrush and water so it has a slight lather to it and make a gentle circular brushing movement across the plate. If you are doing an aquatint the plate needs to be degreased before again in the same way. 

2 comments:

Combom said...

very interesting, and for the talentless (art wise) like me, you can do it from a photograph too :)

RMD said...

Wow, that looks amazing. Well done xx